Sunday, May 15, 2011

Final Recap

Well, to be honest..this post has been sitting in my entries, waiting to be edited for quite some time. Which means, that I have a lot of catching up to do..
Considering my impending doom of finals, and packing and saying goodbye to my dear friends here, I have decided for both you and I, one entry would be better.

So take a deep breath..here it goes...

May 1
For our 'school trip' this year, Siena School organized a trip to the local areas of San Galgano and Spannocchia, Tuscany. It was a great trip.
It started out with a wine tasting at a local vineyard. Yum.
It was unbelievably gorgeous scenery and views, everywhere you looked. 








After the wine, we headed over to San Galgano which is an old area containing a church, with no roof as the construction was never completed. It was very cool. We found out that during the summer it now serves as a concert hall. Jealous.







That night we made our way to the villa of Spannocchia, which was so beautiful.









It is where a lot of Americans come to study/paint/farm etc so there was a mixture of people on the land.We spent the evening cooking and enjoying each others company on one of our last weekends together





The next day a group of Italian musicians came and sang some songs in celebration of May Day. There was a big picnic, a tour of the tower and some little sienese piglets (black and white, the colors of siena) All in all, a completely fantastic weekend.







May 6
The next weekend, we were scheduled to go to Florence for our last Art History trip. The always occurring train/bus strikes put this plan on hold. So a small group of us decided to head up to Cinque Terre, it is a group of 5 small cities sitting right on the coast. Quaint villages with so much charm.
Breathtaking is an understatement for this place. If you ever get a chance to visit Italy, please go here. Everywhere we went was so unbelievable. 













<3



May 10
My dearest older seester informed me that the Giro di Italia would be in Italy while I was still here and I was excited to find out it passed right through a town fairly close to us. The roomie and I packed up after class and headed down to Livorno. It was cool to witness something that I may never get to see again, and I am so glad my seester told me about it!





May 12
On Thursday, the art classes had our final exhibition. A chance to display all the work we had spent the semester working on. It was great to see what my friends had been doing, and post some photos I developed. 







I'm soaking in the last couple days in Italy. 
I'll miss many things about being here.
Four months created a special place in my heart for Siena.
Tuesday night is our final dinner, Wednesday is travel to Milan and Thursday morning flight home.

I can't believe it.
It is bittersweet, but I know home is waiting. John, my friends, my family, a dryer, ice cubes, sushi, burritos, starbucks. 
I am ready. 

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.  ~Lin Yutang"

love love.



No comments:

Post a Comment